Marillac Social Center History
The Catholic Social Center was established in 1914 on the corner of Sangamon and Jackson on Chicago’s west side. The services consisted of a Day Nursery, a Kindergarten, a lunch room for those who lived and worked in the neighborhood, and programs for women.
After 32 years of service, the center relocated to California and Jackson Blvd. In 1947 the work continued under a new name, Marillac Social Center, called Marillac House in honor of St. Louise de Marillac. The Sisters and staff continued to provide child care for young children of working parents.
Throughout the decades, Marillac Social Center has responded to the needs of the community it serves by expanding its services and facility. In 1995, a new state-of-the-arts facility for children and other social services was constructed at Francisco and Jackson, and in 2013, the doors opened to The Vince and Pat Foglia Family and Youth Center, complete with a beautiful new gym, classrooms, computer lab, and food pantry.
St. Vincent de Paul Center History
In 1915, members of the order of the Daughters of Charity opened the DePaul Day Nursery and Settlement House to care for the children of neighborhood women who joined the workforce while their husbands served in World War I.
Years later, a larger settlement house was built and by 1924, the rooftop playground was constructed so that the children could play outdoors. By 1938, two major brick sections of the center were built. In 1958, the gym was built and the Nearly New Thrift Shop opened.
In 1971, a playground on Halsted and Webster was added, and in 1972, the Senior Services Program began. Also in 1972, the settlement house merged with St. Vincent Infant Asylum, a 100-year-old residential facility for orphaned children. The merged facility was renamed St. Vincent de Paul Center. In 1975, the first Infant/Toddler Daycare Program in the city of Chicago was established.
In 1980, the renovation of the chapel created five new preschool classrooms and the Outreach Program was established. In 1986, the Young Expressions began providing art therapy for the children.